Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Top 10 films of 2010 part 2

3. Splice =



With the first half of 2010 being what may have possibly been the worst drought of quality films in recent history, “Splice” was a genuinely ignored diamond in the rough. Be it a piss poor marketing campaign or a string of rather cliché previews, “Cube” director Vincenzo Natali’s Cronenberg-esque story of two ambitious genetic engineers (played remarkably well by Adrian Brody and Sarah Polley) that accidentally create and illegally raise an organism of a new humanoid species was a gem that many, including myself, missed in theaters, something that I regret immensely.  

The film begins with asking the typical questions regarding the moral ambiguity of genetic manipulation and playing god but begins to illustrate its point in such a way that never for a single moment ceases to irk and unnerve its audience in any fashion possible, while doing so in such a way that never feels gratuitous. After watching this movie for the first time, I felt an immediate desire to take a shower after witnessing the disturbing yet slightly surreal content of the ending.

I have watched “Splice” 3 times as of the time of this article is to be published. It still gets a reaction out of me, it still makes me feel unclean by the time the credits role and is one of the most subtle films that I have seen this year. Please check it out, we need smarter sci-fi like this.



2. Inception =



What more can be said about Christopher Nolan? What does it say about your career as a filmmaker when your weakest film on Rotten Tomatoes still scores a 75%? This man started down the path to being a big time director with his non-linear jigsaw puzzle of narrative, “Memento” but if rebooting the Batman franchise was just a stepping stone of his career, “Inception” is what locks him down as one of the best directors currently working in Hollywood today.

Leonardo DiCaprio stars as fugitive government agent Dominic Cobb, who has access to a secret government device that allows its users to fully control their dreams as well as use said dreams to manipulate human psychology. Framed for a murder he did not commit and using the device with the help of a crew for corporate espionage to earn enough money to stay afloat, Cobb must now use the technology to take on a final job that promises him a return home to his children and the life that he left behind. The job in question, an inception; uses the device to manipulate the dreams of a CEO in order to implant an idea into his subconscious mind that he will eventually be inspired to carry out. Or so it would appear to be on the surface.

If the above description sounds complicated in any way, don’t fear because that is simply the nature of “Inception”. If one were to define the story alone, it would be a heist film with a science-fiction twist. What “Inception” truly is however, is a beautifully crafted 2½ hour puzzle with multiple solutions. The twists and turns that the story takes question the viewer on the nature of the film’s perceived reality. Are you willing to accept everything that the movie tells you as fact or call it out on the questions that it leaves intentionally unanswered? The ending of the film shifts the very nature of it in such a way that leaves nearly every aspect of the film up to personal interpretation, making it easy to be caught piecing together different theories for hours at a time, of which none can necessarily disprove the other.

“Inception” wowed me with its budget, impressed me with its performances, and has left me thinking for nearly 7 months with the complexities of its writing. It’s my 2nd favorite film of the year and I’ll carry my experiences of it with me until the day that I die.



1. Toy Story 3 =



A Pixar movie and a follow-up to 2 great films and yet somehow I find myself surprised that this one tops everything before it. This is not a decision that I have come to lightly; I’ve taken into consideration everything that I have seen this year, everything that I have liked, loved, bought on DVD and ultimately, I cannot think of a single film that I’ve seen this year that has touched me the way that “Toy Story 3” has. This movie has not only marked the end of 2010’s drought of quality but may possibly be a landmark in filmmaking and arguably Pixar’s best film yet.

Ignoring the Great Escape plot of the film, the most recurring theme of the movie seems to be retirement. There’s a definitive sense of finality that follows the film. As it showcases its themes of growing and accepting the changes that the future brings, you feel as if you are fully aware that this movie is the swan song to all of these characters we have grown to know and love so much over the years. The goodbye is heartfelt and the last hurrah of an adventure for Woody, Buzz, Jessie and their friends has created what is arguably the first perfect trilogy of movies; a series in which the first film was excellent, with every sequel getting progressively better.

For its quality, its entertainment value, and sheer ambitions, Toy Story 3“ takes film of the year for 2010 and is easily one of the best films that I have seen in my life.





Overall I would day that 2010 was a year full of surprises but more disappointments. Despite a few diamonds in the rough early on, the first half of the year was rather pathetic. There were good movies (Shutter Island, How to Train Your Dragon), there were bad movies (Jonah Hex, The Last Airbender) and then there were the severe disappointments (Iron Man 2) but not much that inspired a theater going experience.

Following the stellar 2008 and 2009, 2010 was an undeniably disappointing year for film but I have to give the second half of the year its due credit for saving the year from being bad. I have never seen so many art films in my life and if there is anything that I can say positive about 2010, it’s that I had to broaden my horizons to maximize my enjoyment of the theater experience, watching films this year that I never would have thought to watch in theaters.

So with one year reaching its close, here’s to hoping the best for 2011. Good day to you all and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment