Thursday, January 24, 2019

Crapshoot 2019: The Last Crapshoot

Source: Metacritic.com

After 8 years, it's time to evolve my dietary intake of garbage cinema.

8 years ago, I conceived of Crapshoot as a means of looking back on the worst films of the year in a spotlight-esque series of features as a means of highlighting the truly bad of the year to truly hammer home appreciation for the good.

Although it would be 4 years before releasing a fully completed entry in my worst of the year series in 2015, due to numerous circumstances of misfortune and inexperience on my part, the series has been a traditional fixture of Crit. Hit since year one.

Sadly however, all good (bad?) things must come to an end and Crapshoot, initially designed as a means of exposing myself to films that I had skipped during the course of the year to keep a fair perspective on what is considered bad when only watching a fraction of theatrical releases each year, has reached the end of its mileage.

The issue has been building for quite some time as the need to stay ever present in the current conversation of film has led me to watch more and more movies beyond those of my preferred choosing, escalating my viewing habits substantially more and more each year.

Compounding that natural evolution to see as much as possible however is my professional alignment with Black Texas, along with the advent of movie ticketing subscription services, which has led to my busiest year ever.

As of the writing of this very post, I have seen well over 100 movies to release from the year 2018 and between this blog and Black Texas, I have provided written reviews for roughly 70 of them.

The purpose of Crapshoot to expose myself to the hazards of the film critic profession in a controlled setting has been rendered moot because I’m now taking those hazards in the field. A series of features focused on the worst movies I didn’t see is fairly worthless in the face of having seen enough of the worst films of the year and having covered them in review.

While time will tell just how many of 2019’s features I will be subject to in theaters, this level of productivity will most likely be my world for the foreseeable future.

It’s rough saying goodbye to one of the staples of my blog but I’d rather end it on a bang than a sour note, so I soldier on to tell Hollywood they won’t beat me down one final time. Join me in February as I hit the most interesting of bad movies that somehow slipped my gaze in 2018 (along with a few that did catch my notice), ushering in the finale of “Crapshoot,” “Crapshoot 2019.”

No comments:

Post a Comment