Wednesday, July 25, 2018

When Bad Movies Hurt You: A Crit .Hit Update


Because sometimes you give corporations a little too much credit.


So the many of you who have been supportive of my endeavors over the last couple of months may have noticed that a few items of notice have failed to go up at their designated times.

While life continues to be a tumultuous journey of ups and downs, the greatest challenge has been a force far more sinister than I allowed myself to believe.

That reality I never acknowleged is as follows: 2000s era Disney is evil and sucks the soul out of those exposing themselves to it.

I've sat on a half completed evisceration of "Mulan II" that I'm beyond exhausted with; not only because the movie itself was soullessly atrocious that I managed to write up an entire review based on context clues from the first 20 minutes just to see the rest of the film play out accurately to a T as though I've unlocked some sort of psychic potential, but because its follow up, "Tarzan 2," is shaping up to be even worse, and I still have one more film on the docket that I know is terrible from experience along with another that has a 0% Rotten Tomatoes, similar to "Mulan II."

Yet as terrible as all of these have managed to be, they also share a distinct lack of redeemable qualities that can be latched onto for an easier viewing experience, while also failing to have the decency to at least be memorably bad, following a formula in brushstrokes with a generally passable production budget to come out as a waste of time that hurts while your experiencing it and isn't even worth talking about afterward.

That's 4 movies in a remaining docket of about 8.

Now I've come this far over the course of the 2 years I've been running this project so I'll be goddamned if I let the specter of the Michael Eisner legacy beat me down now but the fact of the matter remains that the traditional approach, is not gonna work.

So bear with me throughout the month of August, as I put the legacy of the direct to video Disney sequels out of their misery once and for all. Some of that will include sequence breaking, some of it may include listicles.

All I know is Summer is coming to a close, and if it means briefly delaying some of my other non-film review content, I will not be talking about these movies in the Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment